When I consolidated my student loans with Lendkey in 2018, I decided to take on an extra $100 per month to pay the loans off in 5 years instead of 7 years. (Click here for blog about refinancing). I had to figure out where I was going to get the extra money each month in my budget.
I decided to take on the challenge of not buying clothes for an entire year. I “NEEDED” nothing, just a lot of wants.
On Black Friday of 2018, I bought some socks and essentials and a few things for in the gym and started the 1 year of no clothes.
- I can buy clothes from a second hand store with a maximum $10 per item limit.
- I can accept clothes from other people as gifts.
- If I am given a gift card, I can use it to buy something new, BUT I am not allowed to ask for gift cards.
So far what I have learned:
- I have had so many WANTS over the past 7 months.
- I regularly add things to my cart and then put them back.
- I avoid shopping with friends and ask them to do activities instead.
- I have manifested more clothes in the past 7 months than I could have purchased. The wants did not go away and I didn’t judged how I acquired the clothes. So many people have given me things, it is crazy. I love watching how the universe is providing me the things I want. My style has completely evolved to include more colors, more freedom and great fitting items.
- My glamorous grandma passed away and we were the same size. My grandpa let me pick out items I wanted to wear to continue her legend. Shoes, leather pants, fur vests, etc.
- I went to dinner with a group of friends and someone had bags of clothes they were trying to get rid of. A few dresses and tops!
- Clients were downsizing their closets and offered to me that I could take anything I wanted before taking the rest to be donated. Dresses, pants, tops!
- Someone gave me a few gift cards.
- A girlfriend found a shirt that made her think of me and it fits perfect!
Someone gave me this shirt, I couldn’t have found something to match these shorts so perfectly.
I am having so much fun with this, that I may just keep going. I have a few things that I know I would buy on Black Friday and now I am working on manifesting exactly what I want that day including the price I want to pay. Let the games begin!